Saturday, October 15, 2016

Week 2

Can Flipping be done wrong? https://www.edsurge.com/news/2016-10-13-sherry-turkle-says-there-s-a-wrong-way-to-flip-a-classroom

In reading this article the author really talk about how some teacher who flip their instruction use class time as homework recitation. We must remember that the true idea behind this model is to engage students at a higher level during our instruction. Just reciting homework assignment in class is not forcing our students to think and engage at higher levels. Therefore, I would agree that this is an example of flipping gone wrong. However, when we use this method to engage our students with student centered projects we are forcing them to think at higher levels. When they are working at higher levels they are truly engaged. I believe that when lower level thinking at home allows for higher level student engagement in class flipping has gone right! I truly believe that it is important that we put the power in our students hands for them to engage and be prepared for future opportunities!

Student Centered learning is not just about the students. It is about all the stakeholders involved. Read the article http://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/16/10/p8560099/sun-prairie-area-schools-in-wisconsin-join-districts-in-pennsylvania-an and find out how a district in Wisconsin evolved all stakeholders when deciding on the right LMS. I truly believe that this approach will not only benefit the learners but all parties involved. I personally can't think of a more important student centered project than all of these stakeholders took apart in!

Does being bilingual increase your job perspectives?http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2016/10/11/52645/prop-58-sparks-the-debate-over-english-only-learni/

This article discusses Prop 58 and how being bilingual can really increase your future job perspectives. Do you think we can utilize flipping and student centered learning to increase our turnout of bilingual students? Should we only teach English, or should we use a bilingual approach? I can definitely see and understand both arguments. Would you be able to successfully teach in a bilingual approach?

4 comments:

  1. I also read an article on Proposition 58 and will be really interested in the outcome of the vote in November. In terms of a flipped classroom, I have yet to attempt this with my own content, but have known teachers that have tried and succeeded. I agree in that you don't want to defeat the purpose of the model by not taking advantage of the higher order thinking skills. Have you tried a flipped classroom? If so, what are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brady,

    You are preparing your students to be life-long learners! If done correctly, the flipped classroom is an excellent idea!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brady,

    You are preparing your students to be life-long learners! If done correctly, the flipped classroom is an excellent idea!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read about the flipped classroom I always think it sounds interesting. I haven't personally seen this in practice. I find it hard to imagine and I would love to see a flipped classroom done correctly because I think there could be great benefits to it. I can understand how it could be done wrong by someone like me who means well but doesn't really know what it should look like. I think training is key so that educators that want to use the flipped classroom can create a successful program that is truly beneficial to learners. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete